We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Grapes "Viking" is an early variety that is fully ripe and ready for harvest in 110-120 days. "Viking" has established itself as one of the table hybrid forms of grapes.
The hybrid form of grapes "Viking" is the result of the work of Ukrainian breeder V.V. Zagorulko. When crossing, a parental pair was used, represented by the varieties "ZOS-1" and "Kodryanka". The hybrid form belongs to the category of amateur selection.
Grapes "Viking" is common in the southern regions of our country, and is also widely cultivated in the homeland of the breeder, where it is zoned and adapted for weather and climatic conditions.
Biological Description of the Variety
Grapes "Viking" forms fast-growing bushes with vigorous shoots. The leaves are large, five-lobed, with an open petiolate notch. The flowering type is bisexual, which ensures good pollinability of the variety. Flowering occurs in the first decade of June. Shoot ripening is complete and stably early.
Bunches are medium in size, have average density. Grape brush conical or cylindrical. The average weight of the ripened bunch varies from 0.5 to 0.7 kg. In some years, with strict observance of agricultural technology, the mass of the grape brush reaches 1 kg.
Indicators of resistance to mildew are from 3.5 to 4 points, to oidium - 3 points.
Technical characteristics of berries
The Viking hybrid table grape is distinguished by the formation of large berries with an average size of 2.2 x 3.4 cm. The shape of a ripe berry is nipple or round-elongated; the color at the stage of full ripening is dark blue.
The pulp of berries is quite dense and has a pronounced harmonious taste. The peel is medium in thickness or thin, completely eaten. When grown in regions with climatic conditions similar to the climate of Zaporozhye, ripening occurs three days earlier than in the cultivar of the parent line Kodryanka. Berries are stored on grape bushes for a long time.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
The Viking variety possesses the following advantages, important for winegrowers:
- rather high indicators of frost resistance - up to -21 ° С;
- excellent taste of ripened berries;
- fast and friendly ripening;
- beautiful presentation of a grape brush.
The main disadvantages are represented by the average yield, as well as the strong risk of mildew and oidium damage to the vineyard. In addition, quite often there are problems with the laying of fruit kidneys.
Grapes "Viking": characteristics of the variety
Landing and care
The hybrid form of Viking grapes needs fertile soil with a significant amount of chernozem, which is due to a significant deterioration in the taste of berries when cultivated on depleted soils.
The rules for planting grape seedlings are as follows:
- deep digging a place under the vineyard;
- thorough removal of weeds from the prepared area;
- advance preparation of landing pits with dimensions of 0.8 x 0.8 x 0.8 m;
- pre-plant inspection of seedlings for damage and damage to fungal diseases, as well as treatment of the root system with Gibberellin or Heteroauxin preparations;
- arrangement at the bottom of the landing pit of an earthen embankment under the heel of a seedling from a fertile soil mixture with the addition of fertilizers.
Having placed the seedling in the pit, you should straighten the root system, cover it with the soil mixture and gently ram the soil with your hands. At the final stage of planting, watering is carried out and the sapling is attached to the supporting peg for the correct growth and development of the vine.
Standard measures for the care of grapes of this variety are as follows:
- the main watering should occur during the flowering period of the vineyard, and irrigation measures are necessary on especially hot and dry days during the growing season;
- It is important to carry out high-quality mulching of the soil around the vine, which will help protect the root system from hypothermia, helps to preserve moisture and prevents the growth of weeds;
- top dressing of bushes must be carried out at least three times during the growing season with an interval of a month;
- It is advisable to combine top dressing with irrigation activities;
- plants need periodic loosening of the soil, which stimulates an increase in oxygen access to the root system of grape bushes.
When cultivating a hybrid form of Viking grapes in regions with significant temperature drops in the winter, sheltering the vines should be carried out.
Viking bushes are formed on 3-8 sleeves. It is recommended to prune fruit vines for 15 or 24 buds. Their minimum number can be from 12 to 14. When performing the rationing, one should take into account the rather frequent underload of bushes. You can safely leave a couple of inflorescences to escape. It is advisable to perform fan molding of bushes, or cordon. The formation of grape bushes according to the arched type is allowed.
You may also be interested in an article in which we talk about the varietal characteristics of Veles grapes.
Viking grapes from a significant part of gardeners deserved extremely positive reviews. The hybrid form is among the market and highly sought after by consumers. Berries are formed attractive, and peeling is not observed even in adverse years. The taste qualities of grapes are also highly appreciated: berries of this variety are characterized by grapes as crisp and juicy, with a good balance of sugar content and acidity.
How to grow Viking grapes
The hybrid form "Viking" is really interesting and deserves the attention of gardeners. The variety is distinguished by excellent taste and appearance. Signal clusters have a uniform shape and one-dimensional staining. Subject to agricultural technology, the opportunity to get a high yield of very high-quality and delicious table grapes is guaranteed.